Traditional reference service is dead--- or dying. This blog will focus on new approaches toward providing library assistance to patrons... or whatever else I feel like rambling on about.

Thursday, February 02, 2006

wiki stuff

I’ve been playing around with wiki software lately. Yes, I know, that’s very trendy these days, but beyond all that, I have to say they are not as intuitive as they should be.

I’ve been using:
http://www.pbwiki.com/
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MediaWiki

PB is free and pretty straight forward, but too simple and plastered with advertising.

MediaWiki is sexy (Wikipedia uses it) but the search feature sucks and it’s just kind of weird. It also involves server installation.

The point of a wiki is to make collaboration quick and easy and unfortunately both products fail in this regard. I pitched the wiki idea at a reference meeting and people didn’t seem to care. I’m hoping maybe the idea was too new because the potential value is immense. I’ve been using the PB one myself the past few weeks and it’s been great.

The real problem, particularly with mediawiki, is the clunkiness of the editor. I don’t feel comfortable trying to persuade librarians to learn how to use it. It needs to be simpler, like a blog or message board—but I don’t want to use those technologies. I fear that it will come down to three or four of us being the “editors” rather than a collective contribution.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Pat said...

I've been playing with Seedwiki. http://www.seedwiki.com

If I can figure it out, I'd expect most Librarians who use periodical database interfaces could.

Our staff mangaged to get in a add their extension. A couple others added new pages. But most were too busy with their other activities to really get in and
experiment.

3:35 PM

 
Blogger VUONG said...

渋谷 賃貸
ショルダーバッグ
賃貸 恵比寿
リコメンド
看護師 求人
ビーズ パーツ
保育士資格
賃貸伊丹市
新聞折込
異業種交流パーティー
サイト売却
エステ 池袋
大規模修繕
ゴルフ 合コン
インターネットFAX
結婚相談所 東京
データ 通信 カード
家電 買取
アトピー 入浴
霊園 東京
葬儀 埼玉
阿比留 章雄
整体 独立
整体 スクール 東京
葬儀 横浜市
霊園 松戸
英語 メール

12:03 AM

 
Blogger VUONG said...

婚活
ウェディングドレス
募金
インプラント
カラコン
ボイストレーニング
債務整理
民事再生
自己破産
過払い金
任意整理
リサイクルショップ
オフィス家具
店舗デザイン
債務整理
過払い
新宿 マッサージ
タイ古式マッサージ
広島 不動産
婚活
お見合いパーティー
マカ
格安航空券 国内
バイク便
税理士 東京
青梅市 不動産
PC 移転

12:03 AM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home